Search This Blog

Monday, July 8, 2013

Strip Your Stash

I started taking the Craftsy class Strip Your Stash by Nancy Smith.  She has some great ideas for using strips to make quilts that are fast and easy.

I really like her idea of using photos that you like and using the colors in the photo to select fabrics that will work together. 

I must say that Nancy has a much nicer stash than I do.  At some point I got into a blue phase and so I have tons of blue fabrics that now are not very exciting to work with.  Perhaps I could add a little orange to spice up the blues.  However, I have very few orange fabrics. So perhaps I will have to make a trip to the fabric store.  I do have some yellow fabric and they would work as well.

I am would love to try out Nancy's strip techniques but I am currently making a quilt for the Calgary Flood Relief.  Hopefully soon I will get to try out strip techniques.

5 comments:

  1. I have just revamped my material storage and it is true that we can see quilts in the colourful photos.. I noticed that I have A LOT of blues too. Do you like the craft classes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just recently been looking at classes thro craftsy but have not signed up for any, my stash is in the process of being reduced (ALOT)and as my fabrics dwindle I am luckily? having to worry less about what goes with what... Not sure if that is a good thing or not, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, glad your stash is decreasing. Mine has as well however it still have some ugly fabric which I should give away. Try craftsy free classes. You get to see how they work.

      Delete
  3. I have a lot of blues in my stash, too. And I love working with blues, but not everyone likes to get a blue quilt! Looks like you could be making a few, and yes the yellows and oranges really balance it out. You might try picking up a couple of 2 yard pieces to get quilts made. And when I find I have a surplus of one colour, I piece them together to make backings. They sure get gobbled up that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using my stash for backs. I started piecing them after I took the free craftsy class on Pieced Quilt Backs. Unfortunately, I am not making that many blue quilts these days so the pile is not decreasing as fast as I would like. I do like my quilt backs to coordinate with the quilt front.

      Delete