Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, September 6, 2013

Painting Pictorial Quilts

I took a class a Craftsy class Painting Pictorial Quilt by Annette Kennedy. 
Click here for more information about the class. 

It was a wonderful class that I wish I had taken a year ago.  Annette walks you through the process of painting two projects. 

I have been painting my art quilts for a couple of years and now have a better understanding of how to mix colors.  I usually paint directly on to the quilt top and sometimes it doesn't work so I have to paint again.  Annette first paints on a scrap of the same fabric to see what the color will look like.  I certainly be trying this in future.

I also learn how to mix different colors. I usually add white to get a light color which doesn't always work.  Annette show me how to add gel to get a light color and I have had an opportunity to try this and it worked beautifully.

Watch this Youtube video of my art quilts before painting and after painting.   See what a different a little paint make.  I do say little paint.  For me this is not about painting the whole quilt but adding lights to make the values show better.



2 comments:

  1. What kinds of paints do you use, Diane?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I mostly use acrylic fabric paints. However, since I am not very good a mixing colors I will use any acrylic paint that is the right color and mix it with gel medium.

      Delete